In various areas of logic, computation, language processing, and artificial intelligence there is an obvious need for using specialized formalisms and inference mechanisms for special tasks. In order to be usable in practice, these specialized systems must be combined with each other, and they must be integrated into general purpose systems. The development of general techniques for the combination and integration of special systems has been initiated in many areas,...
- combination of logics (e.g., modal logics, logics in AI, ...);
- combination of constraint solving techniques (unification and matching algorithms, general symbolic constraints, numerical constraints, ...) and combination of decision procedures;
- integration of equational and other theories into deductive systems (e.g. theory resolution, constraint resolution, constraint paramodulation, ...);
- combination of term rewriting systems;
- integration of data structures (e.g., sets, multisets, lists) into CLP formalisms and deduction processes;
- hybrid systems in computational linguistics, knowledge representation, natural language semantics, and human computer interaction;
- logic modelling of multi-agent systems.
these pages are biased towards the combination of constraint solving methods,
and the integration of specialized reasoners into deductive calculi.
Contributions from the other areas above are welcome and strongly encouraged.